You Are Viewing The Forums As A Guest

Welcome to Cooking The Books.
Please have a look around and enjoy the various threads available to you as a guest here.
For full access to the boards you will need to register to join.
Details are in the Welcome board and you can access the registration page via the button below.

If you are having problems with registration then contact forum@tudorcook.co.uk

Kew Palace (Georgian) Kitchens

Comments and chat about the cookery events at Hampton Court Palace or any other history cooking, methods, techniques, events, kitchens or things not strictly recipe related.

Kew Palace (Georgian) Kitchens

Postby TerryL » Sat May 19, 2012 11:11 pm

I've just spent 2 days at the first public opening of the Kew Palace kitchens and I just thought I'd say that it was a great 2 days. The kitchens are an amazing space, half of it as it was left after it's last use and half restored and usable for cooking. I've taken pictures and will be posting pictures shortly on my Picasa site and then putting links on here.

Hopefully they'll be doing more cooking events there as it really brings the space to life. They will I think be doing guided tours without cooking, but I think the space will be nowhere near as interesting without the activity, even if it will still be an interesting addition for anyone visiting Kew Palace.

On Friday the 2 Barrys (Pick and Carter), David and . were working the kitchens. Today the 2 Barrys were replaced with Robin, Marc H (Grymm) and Robert (Kitchen Clerk).

I'm very tired but thoroughly enjoys the 2 days.
Terry says... All comments in my messages are entirely my own opinion, and no other idiots.
TerryL
Rambler
Rambler

Have thanks: 50 times

Re: Kew Palace (Georgian) Kitchens

Postby TerryL » Sun May 20, 2012 6:11 pm

OK, day 1 pictures now on my Picasa at...

https://picasaweb.google.com/1022039137 ... tPublicDay

Day 2 to follow when I have them uploaded and captioned - but first a mug of tea is required.
Terry says... All comments in my messages are entirely my own opinion, and no other idiots.

For this message the author TerryL has received thanks:
digger
TerryL
Rambler
Rambler

Postby TerryL » Sun May 20, 2012 7:57 pm

For this message the author TerryL has received thanks:
digger
TerryL
Rambler
Rambler

Postby Elise_Fleming » Mon May 21, 2012 9:48 am

How are the cooks dividing their time between Kew and Hampton Court? Are they at Kew for specific weekends as they are at Hampton?
Elise_Fleming
Verbose
Verbose

Have thanks: 53 times

Postby TerryL » Mon May 21, 2012 10:56 am

Elise_Fleming wrote:How are the cooks dividing their time between Kew and Hampton Court? Are they at Kew for specific weekends as they are at Hampton?

They'll have to answer that one, as far as I know there isn't a regular schedule for cooking at Kew, this was the public opening so HRP wanted to do something. Normally I think the kitchens will be open for guided tours, not the "free flow" of the last weekend (but when I asked people from the Palace they didn't know and I got no consistant answer - early days).

It's a nice little (after Hampton Court) kitchen and having cooks in it recreating the bustle of a working kitchen (day 1 was particularly good as Barry and . were constantly cooking, taking turns and always some activity). Without the cooks it's a little less alive, just as the kitchens at Hampton Court are, still impressive, but harder to imagine as a working space.

The really nice thing is that one half is preserved (more or less) as it was when last used, and the other side is restored so can be used without serious risk to valuable original fixtures. The comparison, side by side, in the same place, really helps. At Hampton Court there's always the mix of C16, C17, C18, C19 and C20 stuff which shows the changing history and use of the space and is interesting, but at Kew it's as it was when last used in it's period.
TerryL
Rambler
Rambler

Postby Bassoonbloke » Mon May 21, 2012 2:19 pm

Hello All,

I've never been to Kew Palace, so the pictures give a really good sense of the goings on there. I would like to know if anything that was cooked there was taken from my georgian cookbooks that were borrowed by Marc H (Grymm)? and if so what was the outcome (ie was it tasty).
What was the general concensus on the food that was created, what did the visitors who tried it think?
I'll try to get in there at some time, but it need to be a time when the cooking crew are there again.
Great Stuff.

Cheers,
Alan. :thumbup:
Bassoonbloke
Talkative
Talkative

Have thanks: 5 times

Postby TerryL » Mon May 21, 2012 4:33 pm

Bassoonbloke wrote:Hello All,

I've never been to Kew Palace, so the pictures give a really good sense of the goings on there. I would like to know if anything that was cooked there was taken from my georgian cookbooks that were borrowed by Marc H (Grymm)? and if so what was the outcome (ie was it tasty).
What was the general concensus on the food that was created, what did the visitors who tried it think?
I'll try to get in there at some time, but it need to be a time when the cooking crew are there again.
Great Stuff.

Cheers,
Alan. :thumbup:

I can't answer about if anything they did was in your book, they were working from an actual menu of, I think February 6, 1789 - when it was announced he was "better" and given back his knife and allowed to shave. They didn't do the whole menu, just a selection of the dishes. The public can't (or aren't supposed) to taste the food, but the other palace staff (they're allowed to poison them) seemed keen tester and came back at intervals. The crayfish in cream sauce dish seemed quite popular.
TerryL
Rambler
Rambler

Postby johnna » Tue May 22, 2012 12:56 am

TerryL wrote:Day 2 pictures now up at

https://picasaweb.google.com/1022039137 ... dPublicDay

Great photos

thanks for posting

Johnna
johnna

Have thanks: 30 times

Postby TerryL » Fri Jun 22, 2012 4:18 pm

I forgot to post a link to this

https://picasaweb.google.com/1022039137 ... ceKitchens

Earlier this week I popped back into Kew Palace kitchens to get a couple of shots of the restored side of the kitchens where the lads were cooking, but without them cluttering up the place.

I also had a poke about in the little brick shed in the garden/yard. I've added a couple of comments now, which is what reminded me to post the link.
TerryL
Rambler
Rambler

Postby kitchen clerk » Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:42 pm

Changed a bit...

kitchen clerk
Fancy-Fancy
Fancy-Fancy

Have thanks: 11 times

Next