You Are Viewing The Forums As A Guest

Welcome to Cooking The Books.
Please have a look around and enjoy the various threads available to you as a guest here.
For full access to the boards you will need to register to join.
Details are in the Welcome board and you can access the registration page via the button below.

If you are having problems with registration then contact forum@tudorcook.co.uk

May Late Spring Bank Holiday Even

Comments and chat about the cookery events at Hampton Court Palace or any other history cooking, methods, techniques, events, kitchens or things not strictly recipe related.

Re: May Late Spring Bank Holiday Even

Postby TerryL » Sun May 29, 2011 7:17 am

OK, day 1 over, not too busy, but some interesting people coming through and by the looks of the lads after hours, they were quite tired.

I'm a bit behind getting the pictures sorted, I was a bit late getting in last night, and getting up and ready for today's events doesn't leave a lot of time for photo sorting. I've done some but the rest will have to wait until this evening, (I don't intend going down The Kings Arms tonight... at the moment anyway).

Robin was making "chewits", deep fried pies, and trying out how different sorts of paste worked for them
Richard did some salmon dish (that at one stage smelled awful and eventually tasted... meh!)
Marc H was "frotting his prunes" (plums this time) to make the pottage of prunes
David was at his sugarwork
The Barrys were meet, greet and food is food (and making lunch) as usual
Jorge was showing how to use a quill pen and the scribe art
. was on the spit roasting beef
Robert was working up to doing a new dish (maybe today) and holding the fort as needed

Now, to get ready and head off for day 2
Terry says... All comments in my messages are entirely my own opinion, and no other idiots.
TerryL
Rambler
Rambler

Have thanks: 50 times

Postby TerryL » Sun May 29, 2011 8:58 am

Before I set off, what I've mnaged to sort so far (and the rest will follow when I get them done) are at

https://picasaweb.google.com/terry.love ... lidayDay1#
Terry says... All comments in my messages are entirely my own opinion, and no other idiots.
TerryL
Rambler
Rambler

Postby Elise_Fleming » Sun May 29, 2011 11:39 am

Aha! I see Helen as one of the visitors! Thanks for taking time to post the photos, Terry. Number 66/76 is particularly nice! The sugarwork "station" seems to have been minimalized - not as much on it as in past years. What does Robin have in his hand in #76? Looks like a piece of lemon, but I'm thinking it might be a bit of dough.
Elise_Fleming
Verbose
Verbose

Have thanks: 53 times

Postby TerryL » Mon May 30, 2011 12:15 am

Elise_Fleming wrote:Aha! I see Helen as one of the visitors! Thanks for taking time to post the photos, Terry. Number 66/76 is particularly nice! The sugarwork "station" seems to have been minimalized - not as much on it as in past years. What does Robin have in his hand in #76? Looks like a piece of lemon, but I'm thinking it might be a bit of dough.

In #76 Robin has his mincing knife out, he'd just been demonstrating how he minced the chicken for the filling for the pies (without a magiMix).

In #66 Jorge's "student" is a Brazilian woman who had been taught to write with a quill pen at school and Jorge is admiring her efforts.

Yje sugar station is clean because David hadn't made a mess yet when the picture was taken.
TerryL
Rambler
Rambler

Postby TerryL » Mon May 30, 2011 8:05 am

Apologies to anyone looking for the rest of day 1, and info about day 2, but it will I'm afraid have to wait until the end of day 3. Last evening I was subjecte to "extraordinary rendition" (had my arm twisted by Jorge and Robert - assisted by Rebecca) and dragged kicking and screaming to a place of torture (The Kings Arms).

There they forced me to drink "truth serum" (several pints of rather nice beer) and subjected me to interrogation (about what I have no idea because of the "truth serum") and brainwashed me (we chatted about various things I can't now remember).

I did finally manage to escape and catch a bus home, but it was very late when I got in and I collapsed (went to bed) and have only just recovered sufficiently to prepare to return to HCP again and get my revenge (take more incriminating pictures).

All in all, it was a good day yesterday, and the ending was the best bit.
TerryL
Rambler
Rambler

Postby TerryL » Tue May 31, 2011 11:19 pm

OK, another batch from day 1 uploaded, but still not done. I've had a busy day and not the most pleasant - will try again tomorrow to catch up.

They are in the same Picasa album as posted 2 or 3 messages back.
TerryL
Rambler
Rambler

Postby Elise_Fleming » Wed Jun 01, 2011 1:33 am

Thanks, Terry. I won't have computer access for several days, but what are the small fried pies? And, what is photo 141??
Elise_Fleming
Verbose
Verbose

Have thanks: 53 times

Postby TerryL » Wed Jun 01, 2011 7:02 am

Elise_Fleming wrote:Thanks, Terry. I won't have computer access for several days, but what are the small fried pies? And, what is photo 141??

The small pies (chewits - spelled however you spell it) were filled with minced chicken (and spices - which I can't remember). Robin was experimenting with the type of paste as the recipe didn't specify. The first was a shortcrust (nice, reportedly tasted like biscuits and somewhat over powered the flavour of the filling).

The second was a simple flour and water, made with the "bag method" and Robin thinks is the best but you eat the filling and can forget the paste.

The third, which at this time hasn't been posted yet, was with a hot water crust, which didn't look good and while I don't think it was a disaster, was hard to work with and didn't seem suited to the purpose.

The outcome of the experiment was I think that the simple flour and water paste, as a cooking vessel, was the most likely way to go and was to cook the contents and that's it.

Picture #141 is Marc H's "pottage of Prunes" (plums) with some of the spices as a dusted dressing, rather than stirred in. He'll explain the process from "frotting" to "dusting" and all stages in between if he's about as I didn't catch it all. It's the same dish he tried before but with the prune/prunes rather than the plum/prunes which ended up too thik and being converted to a tart filling.
TerryL
Rambler
Rambler

Postby TerryL » Wed Jun 01, 2011 11:09 am

OK, that's day 1 complete, any captions will come later, sorry it's such a horrible big lump and taken so long. Ask if there are any questions about them.

Days 2 and 3 still to come, but hopefully will be less images per day.
TerryL
Rambler
Rambler

Postby TerryL » Wed Jun 01, 2011 5:36 pm

OK, finally done day 2 pictures (less pictures, less about the cooking) are at...

https://picasaweb.google.com/terry.love ... lidayDay2#

For this message the author TerryL has received thanks:
Elise_Fleming
TerryL
Rambler
Rambler

PreviousNext

Return to History Cooking & Kitchens