You Are Viewing The Forums As A Guest

Welcome to Cooking The Books.
Please have a look around and enjoy the various threads available to you as a guest here.
For full access to the boards you will need to register to join.
Details are in the Welcome board and you can access the registration page via the button below.




If you are having problems with registration then contact forum@tudorcook.co.uk

May day holiday weekend

Comments and chat about the cookery events at Hampton Court Palace or any other history cooking, methods, techniques, events, kitchens or things not strictly recipe related.

Re: May day holiday weekend

Postby Elise_Fleming » Tue May 03, 2011 12:22 pm

Thanks, Terry! Your captions are informative, even if you say they are spare.
User avatar
Elise_Fleming
Verbose
Verbose
 
Posts: 681
Joined: Wed Aug 25, 2010 10:32 pm
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
Has thanked: 29 times
Have thanks: 53 times

Re: May day holiday weekend

Postby Grymm » Tue May 03, 2011 4:01 pm

Grymm wrote:The recipe was one for froid cream of almonds and specifies black sugar.

Take blake sugre, an cold water, an do hem to in a fayre potte, an let hem boyle togther, an salt it an skeme it clene, an let it kele; þan take almaundys, an blawnche hem clene, an stampe hem, an draw hem with þe sugre water thikke y-now, in-to a fayre vessel: an yf þe milke be not swete y-now, take whyte sugre an caste þer-to.
There is at least one other very similar that just adds something like, serve it forth in the manner of a pottage especially in lent, to the recipe.
They both differentiate between 'blake' and 'whyte' sugars.
From my addled brain there is at least one recipe in the Vivander that calls for brown sugar too.

The brown sugar we use is Billingtons Unrefined Cane Sugar
Image
http://www.billingtons.co.uk/
which is just what it says on the packet and not a white with the molasses added back in.
Futuaris nisi irrisus ridebis.
User avatar
Grymm
Choo Choo
Choo Choo
 
Posts: 623
Joined: Fri Aug 20, 2010 10:00 pm
Location: Chilterns
Has thanked: 5 times
Have thanks: 29 times

Re: May day holiday weekend

Postby TerryL » Tue May 03, 2011 4:37 pm

With 8 days over the last 2 weekends they've all started to blur into one and I'm having trouble remembering what recipe was done what day. There should be a law against having major bank holidays so close together.
Terry says... All comments in my messages are entirely my own opinion, and no other idiots.
User avatar
TerryL
Rambler
Rambler
 
Posts: 1245
Joined: Sat Aug 21, 2010 10:04 pm
Location: London, UK
Has thanked: 15 times
Have thanks: 50 times

Re: May day holiday weekend

Postby tudorcook » Tue May 03, 2011 5:29 pm

TerryL wrote: There should be a law against having major bank holidays so close together.


too right!
http://tinyurl.com/ create short web addresses for posting in threads
http://bit.ly/ another way of shortening web addresses
http://quod.lib.umich.edu/m/med/ find medieval word definitions

Visit the Google+ page, click the link>>>
User avatar
tudorcook
Top Cat!
Top Cat!
 
Posts: 1389
Joined: Sat Aug 14, 2010 11:44 pm
Has thanked: 93 times
Have thanks: 37 times

Re: May day holiday weekend

Postby Grymm » Fri May 06, 2011 12:21 pm

Grymm wrote:
Grymm wrote:The recipe was one for froid cream of almonds and specifies black sugar.

Take blake sugre, an cold water, an do hem to in a fayre potte, an let hem boyle togther, an salt it an skeme it clene, an let it kele; þan take almaundys, an blawnche hem clene, an stampe hem, an draw hem with þe sugre water thikke y-now, in-to a fayre vessel: an yf þe milke be not swete y-now, take whyte sugre an caste þer-to.
There is at least one other very similar that just adds something like, serve it forth in the manner of a pottage especially in lent, to the recipe.
They both differentiate between 'blake' and 'whyte' sugars.
From my addled brain there is at least one recipe in the Vivander that calls for brown sugar too.

The brown sugar we use is Billingtons Unrefined Cane Sugar
Image
http://www.billingtons.co.uk/
which is just what it says on the packet and not a white with the molasses added back in.


Well mine did say black sugar, the Barry's ere playing with other recipes and substituting the 'brown'(Billingtons molasses sugar) sugar for the bit that just says sugar rather than specifying a type.
See we tend to always think white when they say sugar but some are specific and DO say white, does that mean that when they don't it's just whatever sugar you've got?
Futuaris nisi irrisus ridebis.
User avatar
Grymm
Choo Choo
Choo Choo
 
Posts: 623
Joined: Fri Aug 20, 2010 10:00 pm
Location: Chilterns
Has thanked: 5 times
Have thanks: 29 times

Paste and pasties

Postby JeffBerry » Sat May 07, 2011 12:26 am

TerryL wrote:Day 2 - Saturday 30th April :

Robin made an incredibly short paste and then hand raised a tart case but for a change without the ridges. The paste had flour, butter and 2 eggs think in it, you'll have to ask TC or Grymm if thre was any saffron or sugar in there as well, I just caught him starting to roll out make he cases, not the making of the paste.


This got me to thinking ... what are y'all, err, you all (for the non US Southerners) doing for paste, pastry shells, etc? In the past, when I've needed a pastry for ... whatever ... I've usually just defaulted to some sort of generic, fairly modern, pastry design. Do you guys, or anyone else, have a period model of some kind or are we all experimenting together here?

JB
User avatar
JeffBerry
Talkative
Talkative
 
Posts: 122
Joined: Wed Sep 08, 2010 5:57 pm
Location: New York, NY, USA
Has thanked: 8 times
Have thanks: 6 times

Re: Paste and pasties

Postby tudorcook » Mon May 09, 2011 10:09 pm

JeffBerry wrote:
This got me to thinking ... what are y'all, err, you all (for the non US Southerners) doing for paste, pastry shells, etc? In the past, when I've needed a pastry for ... whatever ... I've usually just defaulted to some sort of generic, fairly modern, pastry design. Do you guys, or anyone else, have a period model of some kind or are we all experimenting together here?

JB


do you mean shape wise or ingredient wise?
http://tinyurl.com/ create short web addresses for posting in threads
http://bit.ly/ another way of shortening web addresses
http://quod.lib.umich.edu/m/med/ find medieval word definitions

Visit the Google+ page, click the link>>>
User avatar
tudorcook
Top Cat!
Top Cat!
 
Posts: 1389
Joined: Sat Aug 14, 2010 11:44 pm
Has thanked: 93 times
Have thanks: 37 times

Re: Paste and pasties

Postby JeffBerry » Mon May 09, 2011 10:51 pm

tudorcook wrote:
do you mean shape wise or ingredient wise?


Ingredients and/or process. I've not got a recipe for coffins I'm happy with ...

JB
User avatar
JeffBerry
Talkative
Talkative
 
Posts: 122
Joined: Wed Sep 08, 2010 5:57 pm
Location: New York, NY, USA
Has thanked: 8 times
Have thanks: 6 times

Re: May day holiday weekend

Postby tudorcook » Mon May 09, 2011 11:21 pm

from what I can see, we're all working from the same lack of details :-D

Some seem to be raised, some set in a trap, some made up like a modern pasty would be, but none particularly clear on the detail front.

Our problem is getting Robin to stop making the fluted cases that he raises...their based purely on an idea he had but not on any other evidence, they certainly work and the logic behind them makes sense it's just that there's no evidence for that style at all, we know that but it never gets communicated adequately IMO...fortunately he's now working on raising cylindrical tart cases and has produced some almost perfect looking tarts, you'll have to check out Terry's Picasa sets to see images as we've not taken any images ourselves yet.

As for ingredients, you know what we know I'd guess. Some recipes give some or at best most of the ingredients, the rest is down to educated guessing I suppose and an awful lot of :banghead:
http://tinyurl.com/ create short web addresses for posting in threads
http://bit.ly/ another way of shortening web addresses
http://quod.lib.umich.edu/m/med/ find medieval word definitions

Visit the Google+ page, click the link>>>
User avatar
tudorcook
Top Cat!
Top Cat!
 
Posts: 1389
Joined: Sat Aug 14, 2010 11:44 pm
Has thanked: 93 times
Have thanks: 37 times

Re: May day holiday weekend

Postby TerryL » Tue May 10, 2011 7:30 am

tudorcook wrote:...fortunately he's now working on raising cylindrical tart cases and has produced some almost perfect looking tarts, you'll have to check out Terry's Picasa sets to see images as we've not taken any images ourselves yet.


Image Image Image
Image Image Image


Allow me... from May Day Bank Holiday Monday.
Terry says... All comments in my messages are entirely my own opinion, and no other idiots.

For this message the author TerryL has received thanks:
tudorcook
User avatar
TerryL
Rambler
Rambler
 
Posts: 1245
Joined: Sat Aug 21, 2010 10:04 pm
Location: London, UK
Has thanked: 15 times
Have thanks: 50 times

PreviousNext

Return to History Cooking & Kitchens

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron