You Are Viewing The Forums As A Guest

Welcome to Cooking The Books.
Please have a look around and enjoy the various threads available to you as a guest here.
For full access to the boards you will need to register to join.
Details are in the Welcome board and you can access the registration page via the button below.

If you are having problems with registration then contact forum@tudorcook.co.uk

Detail of a painting

Comments and chat about the cookery events at Hampton Court Palace or any other history cooking, methods, techniques, events, kitchens or things not strictly recipe related.

Detail of a painting

Postby TerryL » Sat Feb 05, 2011 10:18 pm

This shot is a first attempt of getting a detail from the top right corner of the "Field of a Cloth of Gold" painting. The painting shows a spectacular event where Henry was showing off. In the top right corner the tented city kitchens are shown with the cooks cooking.

It's not as clear as maybe it could be, I'll have another go and try and get square on and see if I can avoid some of the reflection off the glass. I don't use flash is it's not like I'm contributing to the fading of the picture.
Terry says... All comments in my messages are entirely my own opinion, and no other idiots.

For this message the author TerryL has received thanks:
digger
TerryL
Rambler
Rambler

Have thanks: 50 times

Re: Detail of a painting

Postby Elise_Fleming » Sun Feb 06, 2011 1:38 am

I found a copy of the painting online in the Royal Collection. If you go to http://tinyurl.com/6364h6u, you can enlarge the painting somewhat, but I think Terry's photo might show more detail.
Elise_Fleming
Verbose
Verbose

Have thanks: 53 times

Postby TerryL » Sun Feb 06, 2011 7:48 am

I'll have another go and see if I can do a better job. That area of the canvass is not part of the main scene and so isn't as light and detailed, but I want to get a bit more square to the canvass if I can and also try to avoid a bit of reflection. I'll give Robert or TC copies of what I got and they can play with Photoshop or whatever to see if they can improve it.
Terry says... All comments in my messages are entirely my own opinion, and no other idiots.
TerryL
Rambler
Rambler

Have thanks: 50 times

Postby Elise_Fleming » Sun Feb 06, 2011 12:21 pm

I seem to recall that the particular section of the painting regarding cookery was either reproduced in greater detail in a book or the book provided a line drawing of what was there so that the details of the ovens and the cooks could be seen. Of course, that was years ago and I don't remember what book it was which is why I was hoping to find an enlargeable photo on the Internet.
Elise_Fleming
Verbose
Verbose

Have thanks: 53 times

Return to History Cooking & Kitchens