You Are Viewing The Forums As A Guest

Welcome to Cooking The Books.
Please have a look around and enjoy the various threads available to you as a guest here.
For full access to the boards you will need to register to join.
Details are in the Welcome board and you can access the registration page via the button below.

If you are having problems with registration then contact forum@tudorcook.co.uk

HCP Feb 2011

Comments and chat about the cookery events at Hampton Court Palace or any other history cooking, methods, techniques, events, kitchens or things not strictly recipe related.

HCP Feb 2011

Postby TerryL » Fri Feb 04, 2011 10:40 pm

OK, starting tomorrow is the February regular cooking weekend at HCP. I don't promise anything, too much depends on me remembering, the phone network signal strength and other factors, but what I am going to try and do is upload the odd picture from my mobile phone to a Picasa album I've created (ignore the test upload of Hammersmith bus station) at

https://picasaweb.google.com/terry.love.uk/HCPFeb2011#

I don't know if it'll work, if there'll be anything interesting going on, and not everything uploaded could be kitchen based. I also wonder how my phone battery is going to hold out with all the potential usage.
Terry says... All comments in my messages are entirely my own opinion, and no other idiots.
TerryL
Rambler
Rambler

Have thanks: 50 times

Re: HCP Feb 2011

Postby TerryL » Sat Feb 05, 2011 10:44 am

Hmmm,this may not work, it's OK to upload pictures with wifi, but out and about using 3G is another matter. I'm in Richmond smd it's
Painfully slow, it may finish by Monday...

Sent from my Nexus S using Tapatalk
Terry says... All comments in my messages are entirely my own opinion, and no other idiots.
TerryL
Rambler
Rambler

Postby TerryL » Sat Feb 05, 2011 10:52 am

Wierd, in Richmod Orange worked, no problem O2 still struggling. Typing on a bus with a touch screen aint easy

Sent from my Orange San Francisco using Tapatalk
TerryL
Rambler
Rambler

Postby TerryL » Sat Feb 05, 2011 7:43 pm

OK, that didn't work then.

As it happens, no a lot was lost because it was a fairly quiet, run of the mill, day and if you want to see people cooking on the stove or turning the spit look at any of my other Hampton Court Weekend galleries on my Picasa site.

High points?

1) Robin's got a new hat

2 ) Ross has had a haircut

3) Barry and Barry were back in drah... errrm, sorry, Tudor costume.

It was a press day, lots of visitors with passes, cameras and notepads, someone if trying to drum up custom I think

- 3 joints on the spit (flank of beef)

- Robin did the Perre (mushy peas dish) with yellow split peas (reports from Jorge were that is was beautiful)

- Marc H seemed to do some syrup to do some pears in (maybe he'll do the pairs tomorrow)

- Robert did 3 versions of arbelettes (?) - a sort of cheese, custardy, scrambled eggs thing.

- David was working on his ship (it's got masts and a bowspit now)

- Barry and Barry minced some beef and made pelettes (or Tudor sausage - we'd call them burgers) over a charcoal brazier

- Ross roasted (spelled by .)

- . and Jorge had table setting out and did the answer questions about Tudor food and eating thing

- Richard... Hey, TC, you seemed to be tied up with other things most of the day

All told, a quiet day after the Christmas extravaganza
TerryL
Rambler
Rambler

Postby tudorcook » Sat Feb 05, 2011 9:26 pm

no I think you'll find I did very little

;-)
http://tinyurl.com/ create short web addresses for posting in threads
http://bit.ly/ another way of shortening web addresses
http://quod.lib.umich.edu/m/med/ find medieval word definitions

Visit the Google+ page, click the link>>>
tudorcook
Top Cat!
Top Cat!

Have thanks: 37 times

Postby TerryL » Sat Feb 05, 2011 10:10 pm

tudorcook wrote:no I think you'll find I did very little

;-)

OK, I did hear rumours to that effect but I don't always believe rumours from those sources... Nice one (for you).
TerryL
Rambler
Rambler

Postby TerryL » Sat Feb 05, 2011 10:27 pm

As there's nothing too exciting I'm putting off processing all the rest of the images for today, I'll post a note pointing to the galery where I post them when they are done. I'm off for a snack and mug of tea before bedtime.
TerryL
Rambler
Rambler

Postby Ceara » Sat Feb 05, 2011 10:42 pm

I enjoyed the pictures of HCP. I got to visit in September and was delighted. I could have spent much longer than I did and will make my next visit during a weekend cooking event.
Ceara

Have thanks: 0 time

Postby TerryL » Sun Feb 06, 2011 9:13 am

OK some quickly edited images from yesterday before I set off again...

The new "clean cut" look sported by Ross

Marc H chatting to some early visitors while Richard and Robin (in a new hat) start loading the spit, and Jorge stands watching.

David, less animated than usual, talking (ernestly) to someone. Notice the ship has some masts now and other decorations.

In the prep kitchen, Barry P and Barry C, back in Tudor times, preparing to make some pelettes of beef (burgers) to cook on their charcoal brazier.

I can't remember what Richard (gesturing) and Robin (posing) were talking to someone about but it got Robert (background) grinning.

Marc 'M' not looking happy with his portion of meat (a resin cast actually that was left out and should have been put away)

Barry C, an unusual shot of him appearing to be doing something (cooking burgers). He didn't want me to post it as it might spoil his rep for not doing anything, but I'll risk it as he doesn't have internet at home where he lives.

And finally for now, Robert, getting to do some cooking again. He made 3 versions of arbalettes (?), all noticable different, but I did notice that version 2 is the one he scoffed all of.

You can see them larger at

https://picasaweb.google.com/terry.love ... ryWeekend#

and that's also where I'll post the rest, plus any I take today, when I get around to it.
TerryL
Rambler
Rambler

Postby Elise_Fleming » Sun Feb 06, 2011 12:15 pm

Oh, the sadness of the silhouette of the shorn sheep (aka Ross). The poster boy is gone... ;-)

Three versions of arbolettys? Now this would be interesting to hear about. Wonder if he or someone would post what was done, what difference was found, impressions of the completed dish, why X was done rather than Y...
Elise_Fleming
Verbose
Verbose

Have thanks: 53 times

Next

Return to History Cooking & Kitchens