You Are Viewing The Forums As A Guest

Welcome to Cooking The Books.
Please have a look around and enjoy the various threads available to you as a guest here.
For full access to the boards you will need to register to join.
Details are in the Welcome board and you can access the registration page via the button below.

If you are having problems with registration then contact forum@tudorcook.co.uk

Seasonal Holidays Event : Dec 2010 - Jan 2011

Comments and chat about the cookery events at Hampton Court Palace or any other history cooking, methods, techniques, events, kitchens or things not strictly recipe related.

Seasonal Holidays Event : Dec 2010 - Jan 2011

Postby TerryL » Mon Dec 27, 2010 7:49 pm

Just back, (well, OK, I'm half way through a thaw-out mug of tea), from the 1st day of the Seasonal Holiday event.

Due to logistic reasons beyond the lads control they didn't get to serve the King in the Great Hall, (should be sorted soon), but they did cool the menu and check timings and then use the opportunity for another dress rehearsal.

The timings worked pretty well, I think the capon could have gone on 20 - 30 later than at the same time as the beef but otherwise everything was ready by the time they needed it to be. This did mean that cooking finished earlier and most of the lads disappeared to the Great Hall (dress rehearsal) leaving Jorge and David in Kitchen 2 and MarcM in kitchen 3 to mind the shop.

The only one not there today was Barry C who is, I understand, snowed in somewhere up a mountain in Wales. So that's

• Adrian
  • Barry P
  • Jorge
  • MarcH
  • MarcM
  • Richard (TC)
  • Robert
  • Robin
  • Ross (and his coming along nicely beard)

The fire wardens today were Jamie and Howard

On the spit, beef, gigot of mutton, capon and 2 pheasants

On the stove was beef y-stywyd and a boiled mutton / lamb thing

Robin also made a custard tart but that didn't make an appearance in the kitchen beyond Robin making the tart case in his usual, fascinating, way.

Turning the spits seemed to be a mix of the brothers Ross and Adrian, Barry and MarcM.

It is not the warmest place to be, the floor strikes cold, even through thick rubber souls and 2 pair of socks. The lads seemed to have made felt insoles or to wear pattens to help with the thin soled Tudor shoes - I don't envy them. Also they piled on layers to keep warm.

I'm just downloading the pictures I took to my computer and will put a small selection on my Picasa site and post a link when I can. I'm also using every spare socket to recharge my camera batteries, (I had and used 3 cameras today) ready for tomorrow. Oh yeah, light levels in the kitchens are not conducive to non-flash photography, and I hate using flash, (and the space eats up the flash anyway leaves dark backgrounds).

OK, my tea is gone, time for another and then start sorting the pictures.
Terry says... All comments in my messages are entirely my own opinion, and no other idiots.
TerryL
Rambler
Rambler

Have thanks: 50 times

Re: Seasonal Holidays Event : Dec 2010 - Jan 2011

Postby number 1 fan » Mon Dec 27, 2010 8:06 pm

Thanks for the update Terry,you must have needed the tea to warm you (with a tot of something stronger I should think)after a day at the palace,the cold really seeps into those floors and walls.Hope to make it,complete with thermals, towards the end of the week,meanwhile we have your photos to look forward to. :yay:
number 1 fan

Have thanks: 0 time

Postby TerryL » Mon Dec 27, 2010 9:51 pm

OK, the first batch of pictures have been posted on Picasa and should be visible to everyone

http://picasaweb.google.com/terry.love. ... 01011Day1#

There are lots more to go through, and I'm skipping through and selecting the ones that give an over view of events. I'm not sure how many more I have the energy to do tonight, but keep watching that link as any others will be added to that page. I'll try and remember to say when more go up.
Terry says... All comments in my messages are entirely my own opinion, and no other idiots.
TerryL
Rambler
Rambler

Postby TerryL » Mon Dec 27, 2010 11:09 pm

A 2nd batch as been added to the Picasa site, same link as in the above message.

If anyone has problems accessing let me know and I'll see what I can do.
TerryL
Rambler
Rambler

Postby Elise_Fleming » Mon Dec 27, 2010 11:16 pm

I can get an upload of the "thumbnails", but clicking on a photo brings up a photo-less page. the arrow on the page - to advance to the next "larger" one, don't seem to work. I'm wondering if I'm looking while you're uploading...
Elise_Fleming
Verbose
Verbose

Have thanks: 53 times

Postby TerryL » Mon Dec 27, 2010 11:35 pm

Elise_Fleming wrote:I can get an upload of the "thumbnails", but clicking on a photo brings up a photo-less page. the arrow on the page - to advance to the next "larger" one, don't seem to work. I'm wondering if I'm looking while you're uploading...

Don't think so, should have been finished uploading and captioning by the time you tried. I'll try a different browser where I'm not already logged in. The gallery page is marked as public so it should work.

Can you go up a level and get at pictures in any of the other gallery pages, there are lots to choose from.

Just checked using another browser that wasn't auto-logging in, and I see them fine.

How about this direct link to one of the images

http://picasaweb.google.com/terry.love. ... 6014703730

Can you see that?
TerryL
Rambler
Rambler

Postby Elise_Fleming » Mon Dec 27, 2010 11:58 pm

TerryL wrote:How about this direct link to one of the images

Can you see that?

Not until I clicked on "full screen". Got them all that way. BTW, the first one of the canell grinding is MarcH. The machine changed it to MarcM. Thanks for all your hard work!
Elise_Fleming
Verbose
Verbose

Have thanks: 53 times

Postby TerryL » Tue Dec 28, 2010 12:01 am

Elise_Fleming wrote:
TerryL wrote:How about this direct link to one of the images

Can you see that?

Not until I clicked on "full screen". Got them all that way. BTW, the first one of the canell grinding is MarcH. The machine changed it to MarcM. Thanks for all your hard work!

Ahhh, glad that's sorted. The MarcH/MarcM is probably me making typos, I'll fix it

A few more to go up in a minute...
TerryL
Rambler
Rambler

Postby TerryL » Tue Dec 28, 2010 12:24 am

OK, all I'm going to post at this time are now up there at

http://picasaweb.google.com/terry.love. ... 01011Day1#

There are 78 out of I think 301 pictures I took. There are quite a few doubles/trebles and some non-litchen ones from before and after the main part. There are also a lot of David, which I may do a special set of later, if I don't forget.

Tomorrow I go back, not sure what I'll look at doing yet, I'll play that by ear.
TerryL
Rambler
Rambler

Postby TerryL » Tue Dec 28, 2010 8:11 pm

Day 2 : pretty much like day 1, the beef stew was replaced on the menu by fillets en gallentine, (a very good FenG it was too, MarcH made a nice one there).

I didn't think I had taken as many pictures today, I didn't but I seem to have taken more than I thought. I'm just going to start going through them, but there probably won't be too many to post as they cover most of the same ground as yesterday. I'll post a link when they are ready.

The King didn't eat again today, tomorrow we are assured he will, and that's what I'll be concentrating on I think. The cooking part the lads now have down and the timings worked out very well. I'm looking forward to seeing how the next part goes.

I am feeling very tired after a 2nd cold day (but not as cold) and this go to be at half past midnight and get up at 6am doesn't help - so don't hold your breath for the pictures, I'm going a bit slow and trying to do 3 other things here as well.

For this message the author TerryL has received thanks:
Elise_Fleming
TerryL
Rambler
Rambler

Next

Return to History Cooking & Kitchens