You Are Viewing The Forums As A Guest

Welcome to Cooking The Books.
Please have a look around and enjoy the various threads available to you as a guest here.
For full access to the boards you will need to register to join.
Details are in the Welcome board and you can access the registration page via the button below.

If you are having problems with registration then contact forum@tudorcook.co.uk

Seasonal Holidays Event : Dec 2010 - Jan 2011

Comments and chat about the cookery events at Hampton Court Palace or any other history cooking, methods, techniques, events, kitchens or things not strictly recipe related.

Re: Seasonal Holidays Event : Dec 2010 - Jan 2011

Postby TerryL » Tue Dec 28, 2010 8:25 pm

OK, a teaser...

A Man And His Spit

Terry says... All comments in my messages are entirely my own opinion, and no other idiots.
TerryL
Rambler
Rambler

Have thanks: 50 times

Postby Tinkerbell » Tue Dec 28, 2010 8:52 pm

Great pictures - always good to see TC and the Chaps working hard although missing TC cooking here in wet and windy West Sussex! Mrs TC.
Tinkerbell

Have thanks: 0 time

Postby TerryL » Tue Dec 28, 2010 10:18 pm

OK, day 2 pictures are uploaded to

http://picasaweb.google.com/terry.love. ... 01011Day2#

I haven't captioned them yet, and I'm too tired to think now so I'll do it later. Another mug of tea, catch up on my emails and check the technology websites I follow and then an earlier night.

Please ask if you have questions about any of the pictures...
Terry says... All comments in my messages are entirely my own opinion, and no other idiots.
TerryL
Rambler
Rambler

Postby TerryL » Wed Dec 29, 2010 7:44 am

Tinkerbell wrote:Great pictures - always good to see TC and the Chaps working hard although missing TC cooking here in wet and windy West Sussex! Mrs TC.

You call holding a spit working hard??? Well, for TC I suppose it is, he's usually resting his bum on the edge of the unused charcoal stove watching everyone scurry around. His work is in the planning stages and then supervising and keeping an eye on the times.
TerryL
Rambler
Rambler

Postby kitchen clerk » Wed Dec 29, 2010 8:42 pm

Day three, and we finally got to serve the King. This is for Mrs. TC to show how how all that planning takes it out of you...

hee hee..
kitchen clerk
Fancy-Fancy
Fancy-Fancy

Have thanks: 11 times

Postby TerryL » Thu Dec 30, 2010 12:46 am

I will vouch for the above picture being a genuine picture and not staged. I hung about to go down the pub with a few of the lads and these sleeping, (or maybe napping) beauties genuinely zonked out.
TerryL
Rambler
Rambler

Postby TerryL » Thu Dec 30, 2010 12:56 am

It's now 11:55 pm as I write, and I've just got in and stuffed my face with a disgusting fries and fried chicken thing, (all that still open). I'm about to copy pictures and stuff onto my PC but I won't be posting anything tonight, I want to try and get to bed before 2am if I can...
TerryL
Rambler
Rambler

Postby TerryL » Thu Dec 30, 2010 11:16 pm

OK, Days 3 and 4 pictures now on my Picasa pages at

http://picasaweb.google.com/terry.love. ... r2010Day3#

and

http://picasaweb.google.com/terry.love. ... r2010Day4#

However, today I think they about got the format of the Kings' Dining about right, the previous day it was a bit rough and they revamped for today.

So here is a visitors (photographic) view of the event.

Today the let the visitors in as small batches, and we had to progress down the right side of the Great Hall, then across in front of the King and then on out to the route through the Royal Appartments.

Yesterday we were kind of herded and "corralled" en mass and if you were up front you sort of felt after a while "OK so now what, how do I get out"? With everyone behind you you had tp push and shove your way out as they pushed and shoved their way to the front.

I was lucky today to be in the 1st batch so I got a good view down the hall of the king before people started to pass in front. I think maybe one further tweak they could make, if time allows, is to send in batches and hold the front so everyone gets that unobstructed view and a chance to take a picture like that. Then as the last of the batch clears the front of the table the next batch could be sent in.

A second tweak would be to add just a little subtle illumination on the king. Either a soft, defused, light straight on, or if there is a next time 2 smalled such lights, one from each side to break up shadows. Just enough to give maybe 2 - 4 stops better exposure for photographers without using flash, which is a nasty harsh light anyway. I was getting exposures of ISO1600, 1/8 sec at f4.0 - this is pushing it a bit, with my camera would have liked that tp be more like ISO800, 1/16 sec at f4.0, (2 stops), at least, but 1/32 sec and maybe ISO400, (4 stops), would have be super.

Here you can see how the view get interrupted as people start going in front.

From right in front, the view is great, although those few extra stops of exposure would have really help the quality and removed some of the motion blur of the kings councilor or whoever. You can see why I say the light(s) need to be on the king, there is some lighting from the left bit it's on the table and not the king, and he should pop out as the focus of attention.

I pushed my luck with a 2nd shot, but it needs that extra bit of light. I will not use a flash as it would kill the mood of the shot.

As you complete your transit the 3/4 shot is (or would be with more light) a good one. What light there is, is not on the king so he becomes secondary to the apples and the custard tart. I tried 3 different photo-editing programs and this was the best of the 3 efforts to pull the king out of the gloom without destroying the background.

Anyway, I took many fewer pictures on days 3 and 4 because the kitchen side of things is covered by days 1 and 2. The lads had that side of things nailed down already. I will probably go to the palace again tomorrow for day 5, but I don't expect to do the king eating again, or take many pictures in the kitchens. I think it's going to be a social day and maybe something in the East Gardens if it's not raining. My brain hurts and I can't think what else to cover that would be of interest.

For this message the author TerryL has received thanks:
Elise_Fleming
TerryL
Rambler
Rambler

Postby TerryL » Thu Dec 30, 2010 11:58 pm

For this message the author TerryL has received thanks:
tudorcook
TerryL
Rambler
Rambler

Postby TerryL » Fri Dec 31, 2010 5:41 pm

That's it - I went down to the palace today to drop off some oddments for Adrian and to deliver a bottle of "wee drams" so they can celebrate the new year on me, but that's about it. I did takes some pictures in the East Gardens and in the privy gardens, wished them "Happy New Year" and left.

I also got to meet number 1 fan and tinkerbell - the pleasure was all mine - so I have some faces to put to names now.

I'm now home, stuffed full of fish and chips (can't be bothered to cook) and I've locked the front door. I have a selection of bottles beers, 8 different ones and I'm about to choose the first to be sampled. I won't be opening them all, but I will probably have more than one between now, (4:30 pm), and midnight - 2 or 3 is my best estimate. So, while I am still awake and can still see to type...

H_A_P_P_Y___N_E_W___Y_E_A_R
E_V_E_R_Y_O_N_E_!
TerryL
Rambler
Rambler

PreviousNext

Return to History Cooking & Kitchens