You Are Viewing The Forums As A Guest

Welcome to Cooking The Books.
Please have a look around and enjoy the various threads available to you as a guest here.
For full access to the boards you will need to register to join.
Details are in the Welcome board and you can access the registration page via the button below.

If you are having problems with registration then contact forum@tudorcook.co.uk

The June Cooking Weekend Event

Comments and chat about the cookery events at Hampton Court Palace or any other history cooking, methods, techniques, events, kitchens or things not strictly recipe related.

The June Cooking Weekend Event

Postby TerryL » Sat Jun 04, 2011 7:10 pm

SO soon after the last one, but a very different feel to the 1st day. I don't just mean that I still feel a bit tired from the last one but today was busy for a Saturday with lots of tourist and school groups. I think I spotted French and German school parties. There were a lot of French family groups, also German and Russian. The usual smattering of American and some Australians. I guess tourist season has started.

I would list who did what, except I don't remember, did I mention I still feel tired? I do know the 2 Barrys were in "civvies" and had the camping gaz cookers and modern pans out. There were doing modernized version of "Spanish pap" and "Apple moyes" (rice pudding and apple sauce) to recreate something like Meuller Corners. They also did their version of "rice of flesh" (chicken risotto). They even had a copy of the book that has the recipes in, a) original medieval format, b) translated in to "readable" English, and c) a moderm recipe that you would expect to see in a cook book.

Robin did an apple moyse and when last seen was doing a pea dish, that had a mix of mushy and whole peas. He also trimmed the beef for the spit.

Robert was doing something like "How to make pottage for the summer season". Basically spicy meatballs in a spicy sauce

Marc H made"to fry beans", which is (surprise surprise) broad beans boiled, husked, and then fried with onions and spices

David was gilding the sails for the sugar ship

. was doing the roasting (hmmmm, delicious beef today, moist and succulent and tender and I don't know if anyone got the joint back from Jamie the fire warden, I think he looked to be intent of finishing it all.

Jorge had run out of the olde style paper last week and so was back at doing the Tudor dining and table manners lark. He was very busy most of the day.

I took a few pictures, I did get Robert's triumph, him NOT cooking portions for one and he did a big dish of the meatballs, I'll have to stop being rude about his small scale experiments - the lad's in the big time now... :-D
Terry says... All comments in my messages are entirely my own opinion, and no other idiots.
TerryL
Rambler
Rambler

Have thanks: 50 times

Re: The June Cooking Weekend Event

Postby TerryL » Sat Jun 04, 2011 7:11 pm

I probably missed something, Richard has his weekend off this week, so I hope that Marc H (or Robert) will correct anything I got wrong and fill in the holes.
Terry says... All comments in my messages are entirely my own opinion, and no other idiots.
TerryL
Rambler
Rambler

Postby TerryL » Sat Jun 04, 2011 11:55 pm

Pictures from the Saturday are at

https://picasaweb.google.com/terry.love ... kendEvent#

I probably won't take pictures on Sunday, (or if I do it may be a while before I get to post them). I'm off to foreign parts for a week and will be mostly computerless. hopefully some of the lads will explain the photos - if they can remember what they were doing.

The pictures are also on my Facebook galleries at

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set ... 1841771861

I have put some captions there, so if you can see 'em maybe that will help. I need to get to bed now and catch some sleep before tomorrow begins
TerryL
Rambler
Rambler

Postby tudorcook » Sun Jun 05, 2011 4:38 pm

seems it's not all been sweetness and light on Sunday..check out the Twitter feed, no doubt Marc H will let us know more when he's back at a computer.

hmmm, same lack of fridge space for July, that doesn't bode well :banghead:
http://tinyurl.com/ create short web addresses for posting in threads
http://bit.ly/ another way of shortening web addresses
http://quod.lib.umich.edu/m/med/ find medieval word definitions

Visit the Google+ page, click the link>>>
tudorcook
Top Cat!
Top Cat!

Have thanks: 37 times

Postby Elise_Fleming » Sun Jun 05, 2011 10:09 pm

TerryL wrote:They even had a copy of the book that has the recipes in, a) original medieval format, b) translated in to "readable" English, and c) a moderm recipe that you would expect to see in a cook book.

I was going to ask you what that book was and then I saw it in your group of photos. Cindy and I did a pamphlet on "period" food coloring agents. I gave a copy to (Adrian??) - one of the HC cooks, at least - around 2006 or '07. Don't know if it's still somewhere there.

Your photos, as usual, are great for those of us who can't be there in person. Captions help tremendously, but they do take a lot of time to add. No fussing about lack of captions - just an acknowledgment of the effort it takes to add them.
Elise_Fleming
Verbose
Verbose

Have thanks: 53 times

Postby Grymm » Mon Jun 06, 2011 9:40 pm

'S true, Fri and Sat were the hottest days so far this year (Though the wind on sat meant it felt cooler), the meat was delivered Fri morning but because of the upcoming music fest we weren't allowed to use Buttery Kitchen and all we had a coolbox! Result was the flanks turned, rib roasts that we did on Sat were fine but the flanks, well I opened one on Sat morning for the Pottage For The Summer Season and it was a little funky....gamey smelling but not off off, so we took the chance and ran with it. Result was a fantastic tasty meatball dish, thank you Robert, which I enjoyed*. Sunday we opened the remaining flanks and the were WRONG almost blue cheese smelling :wtf: Robin scrubbed them and we put them on the spit so that the obligitary meat on spit pic and interactive turning experience was available, luckily the chimney's draw meant that you couldn't smell it in the Great Kitchen.
Once done we whipped them off the spit and straight into Appt57, the whole appartment stank like an abattoir within seconds so into the gash they went :-( double bagged to try and keep the stench down....can't think of any spice that would cover that honk!

*I'd had tonsilitus a fortnight ago and had only just finished a course of strong antibiotics, iffy beef + impared/depleted gut flora meant as a result they meatballs went through me like a hot ball bearing through runny butter and me walking like I had a penny 'tween me bum cheeks all sunday :shock: .
Futuaris nisi irrisus ridebis.
Grymm
Choo Choo
Choo Choo

Have thanks: 29 times

Postby Captain Reech » Tue Jun 07, 2011 9:32 am

Ugh, distressing! Hope things are returning to normal, try a course of a pro-biotic yoghurt drink, I find it sometimes helps with the after effects of antibiotics. If the Meat is to be delivered Friday for the July gig would it help to have it frozen? 24 hours in a cool box on a hot day and it should be nicely defrosted for use rather than on it's way off.

Interestingly some of the archeological studies of early medieval middens suggest our ancestors were prone to 'looser' movements than we would normally experience, you may have just discovered why...
Captain Reech

Have thanks: 8 times

Postby tudorcook » Tue Jun 07, 2011 2:57 pm

unfortunately the butcher doesn't do frozen!

http://tudorcook.blogspot.com/2011/06/y ... t-and.html will give you an idea of what we will now plan to do based on instruction from above (not so much a higher power, more a taller one ;-) )

From chatting to the guys they did what they could to store the meat....used the freezer for short term storage, cold box etc. etc. but were just defeated by the weather I think....them's the breaks I'm afraid and as I put in the blog update, the man at the top isn't too worried, the meat on the spit did what it was intended to do and eating/using it once cooked could be considered a bonus, we don't like to waste food but sometimes you just have to accept that if you're doing a food based demo and there aren't dozens to feed that there will be waste, harsh but true :-(

as for what may or may not be a "normal" movement....very very hard to tell with the team.....trust me :twisted:
http://tinyurl.com/ create short web addresses for posting in threads
http://bit.ly/ another way of shortening web addresses
http://quod.lib.umich.edu/m/med/ find medieval word definitions

Visit the Google+ page, click the link>>>
tudorcook
Top Cat!
Top Cat!

Have thanks: 37 times

Postby Captain Reech » Wed Jun 08, 2011 10:08 am

I'd say the problem was dealt with in the best possible way by the sound of things and, if the client is happy, then it's all good :yay:

I like the idea of disproving the "It was highly spiced to disguise the fact it was rotten" myth, I've always been of the opinion that if you could afford that sort of quantity of expensive spices you could afford the best meat and wouldn't need to mess about anyway. Stick a lump of rotten meat in front of people just to show how unappetising it would be no matter what you added to it and say "Would you eat this? No? Neither would Henry, arguably the wealthiest and most stylish Monarch in Europe!"

I imagine any merchant who delivered something substandard to the kitchens at Hampton Court would get the "His Nibs won't eat THAT! Better go kill another one mate, tout suite, unless you fancy a visit to the Tower."
Captain Reech

Postby Captain Reech » Thu Jun 09, 2011 9:48 am

TerryL wrote:Marc H made"to fry beans", which is (surprise surprise) broad beans boiled, husked, and then fried with onions and spices

Anyone have a recipe to share on this? I've just harvested the Broad Beans!
Captain Reech

Next

Return to History Cooking & Kitchens