You Are Viewing The Forums As A Guest

Welcome to Cooking The Books.
Please have a look around and enjoy the various threads available to you as a guest here.
For full access to the boards you will need to register to join.
Details are in the Welcome board and you can access the registration page via the button below.

If you are having problems with registration then contact forum@tudorcook.co.uk

Beans Yfryed

Talk about period recipes & ingredients

Re: Beans Yfryed

Postby Grymm » Tue Sep 11, 2012 3:48 pm

Puy lentil version tastes good too especially if you boil them in veg stock (or bacon stock if you can get away with it) first before frying up, they 'bursten' quite quickly too.
Futuaris nisi irrisus ridebis.
Grymm
Choo Choo
Choo Choo

Have thanks: 29 times

Postby johnna » Sun Sep 16, 2012 10:04 pm

I think the book to see on this subject is Ken Albala's volume Beans. A History. 2007.

I suspect that better instructions may be given in other recipes. I'll get the Concordance out and check.

Johnna
johnna

Have thanks: 30 times

Postby johnna » Tue Sep 18, 2012 1:22 pm

Sophia wrote:I wonder if they used a big pestle and mortar like when they pearled wheat and barley. Yet another thing to try out.

This one calls for a mortar.

This is an excerpt from Forme of Cury
(England, 1390)
as on medievalcookery.com

For To Make Drawen Benes. II. Take benes and seeþ hem and grynde hem in a morter and drawe hem up with gode broth an do Oynouns in the broth grete mynced an do þerto and colour it with Safroun and serve it forth.

Johnna
johnna

Postby johnna » Tue Sep 18, 2012 1:26 pm

This is later but another variant.

from A Proper newe Booke of Cokerye
(England, mid-16th c.)
The original source can be found at Thomas Gloning's website or medievalcookery.com

To frye Beanes. Take youre Beanes and boyle them and putte them into a fryinge panne with a dyssche of butter, and one or two onions, and so lette them frye tyll they be browne altogether, then caste a lyttle salte upon them, and then serve them forthe.

Johnna
johnna

Postby digger » Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:33 am

Sophia wrote:
IIRC you are in Germany so you should be able to buy the dried beans in a decent Reformhaus or Oekoladen (Mondbohne is butter beans and Dickebohne or Puffbohne is fava beans), my parents live in Luxembourg and have no trouble sourcing them either there or in Trier just over the border in to Germany.

Well, that's not that easy. I lived for 20 years on the Hunsrück, a region not far from Trier. I can't remember having seen Dickebohnen/ Saubohnen/ Puffbohnen in any stores I bought regularly in. There are some enthusiasts who exchange seeds of their regional variaties, but if you don't know any of them, you have not the best chances to get seeds. Organic markets are a relatovly new develpoment on the Hunsrück. Then I moved to Bamberg and the first broad beans I saw were about 6 or 7 years ago in a newly established supermarket - even organic markets and Reformhäuser didn't have them here. Last year was the first year I found seeds in the local DIY building markets. Until then even in most parts of Bavaria broad beans were exchanged between enthusiasts. But a friend told me, that around Braunschweig she could buy several variaties of fresh and dryed Dickebohnen on the farmers market and in stores. It seems to be a matter of regional preferences - some have them in open trade others only have their circles of enthusiasts. But due to the different safe seeders movements more and more seeds are available in the internet and now organic markets, some super markets and building markets start selling them again.

I got my broad beans from the German Genbank IPK Gatersleben.
digger
Chatty
Chatty

Have thanks: 35 times

Postby Sophia » Thu Oct 04, 2012 6:50 pm

Maybe my mother has been luckier - for fresh she used to grow broad beans until they started turning up more regularly in the organic stores in Luxembourg. I think the advantage in Luxembourg may be that in addition to local products of which there are many, the local stores also import from Germany, France and Belgium which give a very wide range to choose from.
Sophia

Have thanks: 3 times

Postby digger » Sun Oct 07, 2012 11:43 am

The broad beans in glasses I sometimes use are from Belgium.

I don't know if some one posted this before or if it is the recipe you are refering to:

Fourme of Cury (Hieatt: Curye on Inglysh, p. 141)

189 Benes yfryed
Take benes and seeth hem [url]almost til they bersten[/url]. Take and wryng out the water clene. Do therto oynouns ysode and ymynced, and garlec therwith; frye hem in oile other in grece, and do therto powdour douce, and serve it forth.

Sounds for me like it's a matter of cooking time. Maybe cooking temperature plays a part, too.
digger
Chatty
Chatty

Have thanks: 35 times

Previous

Return to Recipe Discussion