You Are Viewing The Forums As A Guest

Welcome to Cooking The Books.
Please have a look around and enjoy the various threads available to you as a guest here.
For full access to the boards you will need to register to join.
Details are in the Welcome board and you can access the registration page via the button below.

If you are having problems with registration then contact forum@tudorcook.co.uk

Bours

Talk about period recipes & ingredients

Re: Bours

Postby digger » Wed Dec 21, 2011 9:25 am

Sorry, that was a bit short. Let my explain my thought:

Following the rules for monatsries set by Benedict there are fast days throughout the year and the complete winter time where he allows only one meal a day. (Zimmermann: Ordensleben und Lebensstandard. p. 37ff)
Very religious laity often tried to imitated the monks. So it might be possible that the recipe is thought for people who were not used to the hard monastic live but wanted to show their faith by eating only once a day in winter. The dish looks and sounds quite filling and nourishing so it seems to be a good stomach filler.
digger
Chatty
Chatty

Have thanks: 35 times

Postby kitchen clerk » Wed Dec 21, 2011 12:25 pm

This is getting very interesting!

I have had to read through Tusser to see if there are any clues...

So looking for;
Preserving with fat,
Times of meals,
Time of year inclusive,
Time of year non-inclusive,
Suitable for one or both of the meals,
Single meal,
Two meats, and/or...

Haven't found any so far!
The single meal idea is clever... two meats and ale would help it become a more complete dish.
Ale being almost viewed as a foodstuff. Must investigate how many recipes mention two or more meat ingredients, and what it means...

These books are so familiar, that finding a different angle to aim from is the best way in!
kitchen clerk
Fancy-Fancy
Fancy-Fancy

Have thanks: 11 times

Postby johnna » Wed Dec 21, 2011 6:16 pm

Hi All,

Elise asked me to look at the topic of bours. I don't have much time as we are in the midst of packing the car and heading out of town for the holidays. It's that insane time of year. (To top it off it's miserable, gray, chilly, and raining!)

But anyway we listed 6 recipes in the Concordance under Bours. That was easy enough to check.

When I get back, I'll check my scanned copy of the original Holkham manuscript. Robina Napier did not do a very good job when she transcribed the original. And I will dig up the other recipes.

I just don't have time to do it today.

Happy holidays, everyone.

Johnna
johnna

Have thanks: 30 times

Postby kitchen clerk » Wed Dec 21, 2011 11:11 pm

You have a scan of the Holkham!

Could this be the end of the short-lived discipline of psycho-palaeography....

Happy Christmas!
kitchen clerk
Fancy-Fancy
Fancy-Fancy

Have thanks: 11 times

Postby johnna » Sat Dec 31, 2011 2:28 am

Couple of more versions of Bours:

xv - Bowres. Take Pypis, Hertys, Nerys, Myltys, an Rybbys of the Swyne; or ellys take Mawlard, or Gees, an chop hem smal, and thanne parboyle hem in fayre water; an than take it vp, and pyke it clene in-to a fayre potte, an caste ther-to ale y-now, and sawge an salt, and than boyle it ry3th wel; and thanne serue it forthe for a goode potage.

Har. 279 PD 15 (8) 1435

Bourreys. Take pipes, hertes, neres, myltes, and of the rybbes of the Swyne, or elles take (if thou wilt) Mallard or Goos, and choppe hem small, And then parboile it in faire water, And take it vp, and pike it clene, And putte into a potte, And cast there-to Ale ynogh, Sauge, Salt, And lete boile right ynowe, &then serue it forth.

Har. 4016 8 (70) 1445

As Bousoun it also appears in Douce 55 and as Burres it is also mentioned in the Add 5467.
In her 2004 Medium Aevum article, Hieatt mentions
“Omits cooking directions and the sage and salt called for in 279, 4016, and 5467.”

Still have to dig into the Holkham.

Happy New Year :lols:

Johnna
johnna

Have thanks: 30 times

Previous

Return to Recipe Discussion