You Are Viewing The Forums As A Guest

Welcome to Cooking The Books.
Please have a look around and enjoy the various threads available to you as a guest here.
For full access to the boards you will need to register to join.
Details are in the Welcome board and you can access the registration page via the button below.

If you are having problems with registration then contact forum@tudorcook.co.uk

v. gallons of mete oyle

Talk about period recipes & ingredients

Re: v. gallons of mete oyle

Postby johnna » Thu Nov 03, 2011 12:50 pm

tudorcook wrote:mete oyle? dripping perhaps? It's in the Lestrange of Hunstanton privy purse accounts from 1520 (valued at 6s 8d for the 5 gallons) anyone come across this before?

---
Elise asked me this am if I had seen this yet. Bad girl; busy librarian; busy week. So here I am at least.

I have two immediate thoughts. One is drippings, strained perhaps and kept back. The other is olive oil.
Under mete, MED lists it as (d) ~ oile, ?vegetable oil; swete ~ oile, olive oil; ~

c1450 Burg.Practica (Rwl D.251) 220/22: Þen frye it vp with mete-oyle.

?c1450 Stockh.PRecipes (Stockh 10.90) 66/23: Take a quantite of rewe an temperyd with methe-oolle.

a1500(a1451) Commodities Eng.(LdMisc 593) 554: Owte of the kynges londe of Portyngale..cummythe grete merchandyse as, 1 Mete oyle, 2 Woll oyle, 3 Salte.
a1500 Hrl.2378 Recipes (Hrl 2378) 121/12: Loke þou haue redy a marbyll-stone; anoynte it with swete mete oyle.

c1500 Recipe MSS Hast.in HMC (Hnt HU 1051) 1.423: Tak the juce of heryfe and meng it with mete oile and styr hem to geder..and anoynt the sore ther with.

From the Peniarth MSS 388 [8] page 57 Manuscripts in the National Library of Wales (Llyfrgell Genedlaethol Cymru ...
"an oynement for ye lendes...
hem in mete oyle and some fressh buttur and let lygge a fourten- ny3t or more and benne boyle hem esely on coiles and drawe oute be oyle & kepe it 'Explicit hic totum pro Christo de omnibus pouunibus' (rubric, f. 40).

Found several more mentions while searching the phrase in Google Books like published ledger accounts "& a jar of mete oyle price 16d,"
So it seems to turn up in medicinal sorts of recipes and ledgers.

Then of course there is this--
The other seems to be a perhaps pressed nut meat oil. Laura Mason in Sugar-Plums and Sherbet writes "Meanwhile, the confectioner should oil a marble slab, and his hands, with 'swete mete oyle' in preparation for working. When the correct stage is reached, the sugar is poured straight from the fire onto the marble slab. ..."
Or did one use fine olive oil here?

Johnna
johnna

Have thanks: 30 times

Postby tudorcook » Thu Nov 03, 2011 1:01 pm

Thanks for that Johnna!

Now feel a complete plank....could have sworn I searched both the MED and Google Books for occurrences before I posted the original question :dizzy: :banghead: :dizzy: :oops:

Will follow up on these useful ref's once I get back to that part of what I was doing....sidetracked to a different research subject that's more pressing at the moment.

Cheers

TC
http://tinyurl.com/ create short web addresses for posting in threads
http://bit.ly/ another way of shortening web addresses
http://quod.lib.umich.edu/m/med/ find medieval word definitions

Visit the Google+ page, click the link>>>
tudorcook
Top Cat!
Top Cat!

Have thanks: 37 times

Postby Tomas de Courcy » Mon Nov 07, 2011 9:21 pm

The biggest problem with it being "Meat Oil" is that lard and drippings are something that are easy to get from your own kitchen, I don't see any reason why it would be purchased unless it was for a very large banquet being served from a very small kitchen.

Also, I foresee horrible things from putting drippings on a marble slab. Anyone who's worked with venison ribs can picture what I"m envisioning.
Tomas de Courcy

Have thanks: 3 times

Previous

Return to Recipe Discussion