You Are Viewing The Forums As A Guest

Welcome to Cooking The Books.
Please have a look around and enjoy the various threads available to you as a guest here.
For full access to the boards you will need to register to join.
Details are in the Welcome board and you can access the registration page via the button below.

If you are having problems with registration then contact forum@tudorcook.co.uk

Search found 49 matches

Return

Re: Tricky Ingredients

Saunders is the one that I have trouble with, although to be fair, I haven't looked incredibly hard. Grains of paradise used to be tricky, but I can usually find them now. Saffron isn't hard to find, just expensive;-)JB Are you UK or US? Powdered saunders is easily available from some online source...
by Elise_Fleming
Thu Oct 14, 2010 3:27 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Lighting the kitchen and other physical details

Split this off from the chit chat about the man meat market :dizzy: in the November weekend thread as it deserves its own I think Had another question while looking back at the blog: Is there any evidence of additional lighting having been used, other than that from the fires and the windows up by ...
by Elise_Fleming
Fri Nov 19, 2010 8:33 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: November weekend

Had another question while looking back at the blog: Is there any evidence of additional lighting having been used, other than that from the fires and the windows up by the roof? It doesn't seem credible that the kitchens would have had to rely on ambient light since they needed to function much of ...
by Elise_Fleming
Sat Nov 06, 2010 2:45 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Jewish cooking

At the risk of being told I'm incorrect, I don't think there are any medieval Jewish cookery books. There are, however, recipes that use the word "Jewish" in the title. I'm thinking of several in An Anonymous Andalusian Cookbook of the 13th Century : Jewish Partridge; A Jewish Dish of Cool...
by Elise_Fleming
Sun Nov 21, 2010 6:44 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

You are not authorised to read this forum.
by Elise_Fleming
Mon Nov 22, 2010 1:11 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

by Elise_Fleming
Wed Nov 24, 2010 6:01 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Beef, Beer, and Bread

Making bread is great. I used to do it regularly for the family. In period, Andrew Boorde warned against eating warm bread fresh from the oven. It was bad for your health! I have sort of a quibble with the recipe on the historicalfoods.com site. They're saying the recipe is to make manchet bread but...
by Elise_Fleming
Sat Nov 27, 2010 12:34 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

by Elise_Fleming
Fri Dec 03, 2010 2:42 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

by Elise_Fleming
Sat Dec 04, 2010 9:21 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

by Elise_Fleming
Wed Dec 29, 2010 8:58 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

by Elise_Fleming
Wed Jan 05, 2011 12:46 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

by Elise_Fleming
Sat Jan 08, 2011 12:27 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

by Elise_Fleming
Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:19 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

by Elise_Fleming
Thu Mar 03, 2011 1:45 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

by Elise_Fleming
Tue Apr 05, 2011 11:13 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

by Elise_Fleming
Fri May 06, 2011 3:13 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

by Elise_Fleming
Tue May 10, 2011 11:51 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

by Elise_Fleming
Tue May 10, 2011 11:57 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: May day holiday weekend

If this is Robin's standard crust (also used for Tarts owte of lente), then these are the notes I took from questions I asked him. As it says, it's my interpretation, since Robin gave somewhat general information. My interpretation, based on the Hampton Court cooks’ version: Dough: (Twice the flour ...
by Elise_Fleming
Thu May 12, 2011 11:16 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: To make FARTS of Portingale?

"Farts" is indeed the name, according to Ken Albala ("Cooking in Europe: 1250-1650"). He quotes the recipe on p. 131 and writes, "Although the typesetter seems to have made a few mistakes here (as in a certain of what fine Biskets), the name of these cookies is indeed Farts ...
by Elise_Fleming
Thu May 26, 2011 6:08 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: To make FARTS of Portingale?

Thanks for that guys. I think I'm going to have a go at these, anyone got a suggestion for a biscuit to use? I'm assuming something fairly plain, perhaps shortbread? At the risk of being fussy, I'd say no to shortbread. It's not a "bis-cuit", that is it's not cooked twice (bis=repeat; cui...
by Elise_Fleming
Fri May 27, 2011 11:22 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Trenchers

The cookery books may not have had recipes for trencher bread because "everyone" knew what it was. However, books of manners contain information about the type of bread, the size of the slices, how old it should be, and how to lay it out on the table. The Boke of Keruynge (Book of Carving)...
by Elise_Fleming
Mon Jun 27, 2011 3:09 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

by Elise_Fleming
Thu Oct 06, 2011 5:46 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Red Quince Paste

Have you looked at the recipes on Ivan Day's web site? http://www.historicfood.com/Quinces%20Recipe.htm There might be clues in the several recipes as to what should have been done. Look at Murrell's recipe ("To make Paste of Genua...") which is part-way down the page. The quinces are boil...
by Elise_Fleming
Fri Nov 04, 2011 7:10 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Red Quince Paste

“The Ladies Cabinet”, 1655, “Cleer Cakes of Quinces or Apricocks. “Take of the best sugar finely beaten and searced, one pound to a pound of Quinces or Apricocks: set your sugar upon a chafingdish of coals, and dry it about half an hour; then cooling it, stir into it a little Musk and Ambergreece, f...
by Elise_Fleming
Sat Nov 05, 2011 12:03 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic